Wednesday, February 25, 2015

War is hell

Chris Kyle (1974-2013)
Last weekend I finally got around to seeing American Sniper, based on the true story of Chris Kyle. Kyle was the most lethal marksman in American military history, with 160 confirmed kills

Even though it has polarized audiences and critics alike, I thought it was an excellent film. I'm not going to buy into arguments about whether or not the film is pro or anti-war. It impressed me with its realistic depiction of battlefield conditions, and showing the emotional impact of combat upon soldiers. I'm not a pacifist, and believe that sometimes war is necessary. In similar manner to when I recently visited the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, I came away from the film with a greater sense of respect for service personnel and the sacrifices they make.

Postscript: Eddie Ray Routh, the former marine who killed Kyle and another veteran, has just been found guilty of his murder. He will be sentenced at a later date.

http://www.americansnipermovie.com/

No comments: